Posts Tagged ‘skincare’
Did you know eating certain foods can actually help make you look younger? Our clinical aesthetician Jennifer Derry does. Recently she was featured in this informative news feature story, where she discusses why good nutrition is not only important for your health, but for younger, healthier-looking skin.
Whether it’s acne scarring, dark spots, sun damage or general skin rejuvenation, the Fraxel skin resurfacing tool is one of today’s most versatile ways to improve skin with little to no downtime.
What is a Fraxel, Anyway?
Fraxel is a type of laser that treats the depths of the skin— the place where aging, pigmentation issues, and acne scarring can occur—all without injuring the skin’s surface.
While traditional carbon dioxide laser skin treatments can be effective but quite painful— often requiring intensive creams and over a week to heal— a Fraxel treatment has few side effects. With Fraxel, patients experience a light pinkness to the skin, similar to a slight sunburn. There may also be a small amount of swelling. But both swelling and pinkness subside in about a day, making it an excellent treatment choice for a busy lifestyle.
The Right Candidate for Fraxel
Your skin is unique to you, and that’s why it’s very important to consult with a licensed professional about Fraxel and any other skin resurfacing options you may be considering.
Here at the offices of Dr. Leo McCafferty, we will:
- Work to understand your medical history
- Perform a physical examination of the skin
- Consult with you about your lifestyle and needs
- Discuss all the available options to meet your skincare goals, including Fraxel
It’s important to remember, Fraxel is just one skin resurfacing treatment available in our offices. These treatments can vary in intensity, from topical creams and lotions, or light chemical peels with almost no downtime, to more powerful and involved options. If Fraxel isn’t the right option for you, we will tell you and suggest appropriate alternative solutions.
But when performed on the right candidate and done by a licensed professional, Fraxel can be a very safe and effective treatment for common skincare concerns.
How to Prepare for Fraxel
Patients planning to undergo Fraxel treatment should limit exposure to the sun, particularly if your skin tends toward hyper-pigmentation (darkening of the skin). If skin does show hyper-pigmentation, we may prepare it with carefully-selected creams and lotions before and after Fraxel treatments.
You may also need to avoid certain make-ups and creams directly before and after Fraxel treatment. A personalized evaluation will help us determine the right preparation tactics for you. Just bring your products with you, and we’ll analyze them, to help you get the best results.
Making the Right Choice for Your Skin
Fraxel is a successful treatment for acne scarring, discoloration and other skin problems, offering little to no downtime. But Fraxel is just one of many treatments available. There’s no better way to find out whether Fraxel is the ideal one for you, than by having a medical consultation. We’ll help you get the results you’re looking for—safely—all through a personalized skincare program.
Contact us for your private consultation today!
Whether it’s summer vacation or a winter getaway, time in the sun promises relaxation… and exposure to harmful UV rays. So how do you protect yourself from sun damage, and help your skin retain that fresh glow all year round? How can you get the best, long-lasting results from your plastic surgery and still enjoy the great outdoors? How do you reverse the effects of the sun’s sizzle once it’s left its mark?
Here at the offices of Dr. Leo McCafferty, we know the secret to beautiful, healthy skin comes from protection, prevention, and treatments tailored to your active schedule and budget…
The Skinny on Skin Protection
Most people know it’s important to use a sunscreen against the sun’s UV rays. But did you know?…
- The trick to effective sunscreen coverage is reapplication. Perspiration, swimming and other outdoor activities can erode sunscreen. This is why it’s important to reapply sunscreen every two hours for proper coverage. While wearing sunscreen may be difficult if you wear makeup, don’t go without– consider using a tinted moisturizer with at least an SPF 15.
- Not all hats are made equal. A broad-brimmed, tightly-woven hat is a smart choice to shield yourself from the sun’s rays. Baseball caps may seem effective, but don’t offer enough protection for the sides of the face and ears.
- Use a different sunscreen for your face than the rest of your body. While there are a number of good sunscreens available over-the-counter for the body, your face may require special protection, particularly for patients undergoing chemical peels and other skin treatments– or before and after plastic surgery. Quality protection is critical to ensure the best results. We have five different types of sunscreen available to help protect the face; these don’t contain the harmful perfumes of standard sunscreens, which can interact with some skin treatments and cause inflammation. Contact us for the sunscreen right for you!
From Sun Damage to Sensational
If your skin is currently sun damaged, you might worry your complexion will never shine again. But even patients who practically live outdoors have rediscovered a fresh healthy look through our customized skincare treatments. Here’s how…
- Working Together to Treat the Whole Patient. As one of the first aesthetic surgery offices in the Pittsburgh region to offer skincare as a part of overall patient health, we know: treating the patient as a whole means better results, great value, and happier patients. So what does this mean to you? This means we take the time to evaluate your lifestyle, schedule, and needs. We evaluate the products you use, and see how they’re working for you—or are they working? Bring in your products and we’ll discuss it. Why continue to purchase products that aren’t helping you achieve the results you want? We’ll work with you to make sure your skincare regimen is effective, not burdensome, and provides real benefit to you.
- Education To Help You Achieve the Skin You Love. Once we discuss your goals, lifestyle, and evaluate your products, we will then design a treatment plan for you to fit your needs and daily life. You’ll leave our office with helpful information to guide you on your skincare routine– both morning and night. This will save you time, and increase your confidence, as we work together toward healthier skin.
- Medically-Supervised Options for Safe, Beautiful Results. While salons or spas offer skincare treatments, as certified plastic surgeons, we also provide a wide range of effective, medically-supervised skin care treatments. You’ll relax with treatments you can trust!
Solid protection, effective treatments, and customized skincare plans that help you not only achieve healthy skin, but gain the most value from your choices…
Looking your best has never been easier. Come on in and discuss your skincare goals.
Mention this blog post when you make your appointment and receive a complimentary sunscreen along with your one-on-one educational consultation.